søndag den 10. juni 2012

League match 3 vs Tau

My opponent in the third match is a player who are very wellknown to me.

We frequent the same tournaments, we hang with the same people and play at the same venues.

This time im facing Sune, a player who several times qualified and participated on the national team and attended several ETC´s.

Besides being a really good player, whom I only faced a single time and lost to, he is also among the friendliest gamers in the entire hobby.

Sune usually plays imperial guard, but he is the sort of player who performs well with any army. This time he is playing a Tau army heavy on suits.


The Tau list

Shas'el, rocket pod, fusion blaster, targeting attay, multi tracker, gun drone
Shas'el, rocket pod, plasma rifle, targeting array, multi tracker, gun drone
2 XV8 suits, 2 plasma rifles, 2 fusion blasters, 2 multi trackers, team leader, drone controller, 2 gun drones
2x 3 XV8 suits, 3 TL rocket pods, 3 flamers, team leader, drone controller, 2 gun drones
3x 10 kroot
2x 6 fire warriors
2 Piranha, 2 fusion blasters, disruption pods
2x 4 pathfinders, devilfish, disruption pods
2x 2 broadsides, ASS, team leader, drone controller, 2 shield drones, blacksun filter
2 broadsides, 1 targetting array, 2 shield drones

Thoughts on the Tau list:

Ok so Tau isnt really my strong point. I only played against them a couple of times and got my ass handed to be every single time. Ofcourse all those games were against Andy, my recurring nightmare, whom I still havent beat in a straight up competitive match.

Theres a total of 16 suits and broadsides in this army. Most of those are capabel of downing my skimmers and henche is my main worry.
Besides the suits theres kroots, warriors, pathfinders, drones, piranhas and a couple of devilfish. These all need watching since alot of it carrying strenght 5 guns which will punch my skimmers in the groin.

Thoughts on the matchup:

I need to win the rolloff.

I need to start the game.

More in this game, than in any of the other league matches I played so far.

Usually im pretty ok with going second. But against this freak show of a firing frenzy I wont survive deploying anything on the table.
So either I go first or I reserve everything and hope for a mission that plays to my army and reserve rolls that  brings most of my army onto the table in turn 2.

My target priority is pretty straightforward. I kill the suits then the broadsides then everything else.

To do that successfully though I  need to switch back and forth between lance and splintercannon shooting. The initial fire against a suit or broadside unit must be splintercannon to remove the drones. After that its dark lances to get instant kills.
When one units taken a suit or broadside casualty, I move on to the next and try and provoke as many morale checks as possible.

It should be possible to put morale checks on every suit or broadside unit on my first round of shooting. Assuming I begin the game.

Did I mention that I really need to start?

A final problem I tend to have against Tau is them hiding behind vehicles with their suits. That should not be an issue here considering they only got two devilfish. My mobility should take nicely care of that.

/Dear Santa. If you let me win the rolloff I promise to be a good boy.


2 kommentarer:

  1. Nice pre-battle article.
    Will we get a battle report, to see how the battle turned out?

    SvarSlet
  2. Indeed good sir.
    Should be coming at the latest sunday evening.

    SvarSlet